2023 January 21, Member Meeting Minutes
Updated: Mar 12
Call to Order: 11:30 a.m. by President Lynn Ondercin (via Zoom) and Donna Esher
Welcome: Lynn/Donna welcomed the members and guests. (Doug Shemenski/Jewelry and Karen Flanders/Fiber)
Minutes: Approval of minutes from previous meeting, December 21, 2022 (Ellen Pritz and Nancy Gray Giffin)
Treasurer’s report as of 12/31/22: Guild balance $7,024.38 + $1,500 Lawlor Scholarship = $8,524.38
Membership report: 58 Active/Paid - 17 Lost/Unpaid
Season calendar: Prospectuses for “Hands on Art” are now available, plus flyers for the next two shows.
Hands on Art Receiving Volunteers include Paul David Adamick, Judy VanInwegen, Nancy Gray Giffin, June Bennett, Ellen Pritz, Donna Esher. Note: June and Judy will hang the show.
EXPO REPORT as of 01/21/23: Volunteers still needed. Participation encouraged. If interested contact Renee, Nancy, Judy, or June. Assignments will be issued on Expo Days.
Scholarship Report: Trudy proposed the following quantities and amounts for 2023 scholarships.
(Motion Trudy/2nd Nancy)
Florida Gulf Coast Univ.
Cypress Lake High School
CCAC Summer Camp
TBD – Lawlor Scholarship
SWFFCG Corner: Paul David was pleased to announce that the corner display is booked for the entire year and thanked everyone for participating.
Art Council of Southwest Florida Report (Mike Ziegler): The Art Council of Southwest Florida will host the 2023 Winners’ Circle Show in July-August. It is a prestigious showcase for the art produced by South Florida artists exclusively featuring the work of artists that won top prizes in the exhibits of the Council’s member organizations during the previous two-year period. The prize-winners in this show are the “best of the best" artworks produced by the members of the Art Council's affiliate organizations. Two pieces per guild will be chosen. Additional updates to follow.
Florida Society of Goldsmiths Southwest Chapter (Doug Shemenski): Doug gave an update regarding Ring of Fire. The exhibition will run April 7 – May 25 at CCAC in the Side Gallery. This open call exhibit includes jewelry and metalwork along with any artwork created with heat or fire, including ceramics, glasswork, metal sculpture, and more.
New business: Reminder, the Lexington show is February 10th, 10:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. As of last update, only one space was left. Even if you are not a participating artist, you may still attend to shop and support the exhibiting artists. At the guardhouse entrance, tell them you are attending the Craft Fair.
Group Project Fabulous Florida: Due to Hurricane Ian damage and recovery. This project has lost momentum. So…Donna will replay the video showing the concept of this upcoming project. In the meantime, if you have already signed out a canvas, please adhere to the following rules:
THEME: Anything that represents the beauty and uniqueness of Florida.
1. You may paint the canvas or apply art to the FRONT surface.
2. If using pencils, pastels, or charcoals, the canvas must be protected with a fixative spray to prevent smudging.
3. If attaching mosaic, glass, fiber, beads, paper, wire, natural materials, etc., the medium must remain solely on the FRONT of the canvas and attached by a strong adhesive.
4. If 3D, the medium must not protrude more than a half-inch from the canvas.
5. If 2D the image must be on the FRONT only.
6. Reverse side of canvas must remain pristine and white. No paint drips, No tape, No globs of glue. The customer may choose to display on a tabletop utilizing the attached easel back. Nothing should interfere with the function of the easel.
7. Remember…this is a work of fine art which will be sold to benefit the Southwest Florida Fine Craft Guild Scholarship Fund.
8. The Board will be reviewing entries for compliance.
Raffle: January – Gourd Basket by Nancy Gray Giffin. Congratulations to winner (and new member) Karen Flanders!! The February raffle item is a Turned Wood Vase created and donated by Mike Ziegler.
Meeting Presentation: Digital Art in 9 Minutes: From Early Computing Technologies to Crypto NFT Hype. This video was shared to create a conversation concerning the possibility of digital artists seeking membership to our guild. We will continue to explore this 2D vs.3D topic at future meetings since we currently allow members to exhibit photography.
Meeting adjourned: 12:45 p.m. NEXT MEETING: February 18th, 2023